Alberton House began as a two-story farmhouse built in 1863 by Allan Kerr Taylor, in the lower slopes of Mt Albert. In 1872 Alberton House expanded into a 'more modern' (at the time) 18 room mansion with an Indian theme inspired by the Allan Kerrs country of origin.
The Alberton House was renowned in the 19th century for its lavish balls, garden parties and countless hunts. The Allan Kerr Family was known all throughout Auckland due to their imposing wealth and constant socializing with other families in the area. Their events were only for the social elite and to attend was a privilege given to very few. This implies that the effect the Alberton House had on the rest of the community in the 18-19 00's was one of lavish refinery.